Child Custody Battles
Child Custody Protect your child
Do you know a child that would be better off in another home? Children seem to end up the being the real victims in cases involving a divorce situation or a battle over child custody rights.
Note: We are not attorneys and we do not give legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding a child custody situation you should seek the advice of a competent family law attorney or a family law firm. You need a staunch advocate for the protection of children and a superb lawyer for any family law issue you may have. Contact us if you need a referral.
How to protect your children
- If you happen to be in the middle of a custody battle for your children or you think you might be in the future, call an attorney. And please follow your attorney’s advice. Family law attorneys work in the area of custody disputes every day and know the court systems inside and out.
- Don’t do anything stupid. Examples: fighting with your spouse in front of your children; calling your spouse names in front of them; speaking badly about your spouse to your children.
- Keep a journal. We recommend you write down in a journal every issue that affects your child’s welfare. You can use a computer or your phone but what happens if you lose your phone, or the computer dies? A written journal is simple to maintain. You won’t have to remember anything you put into a journal. That’s a big advantage in a stressful situation.
- Don’t use your children as leverage.
- Don’t use your children to “get back” at the other party.
- Don’t give up. They’re your children. Fight for them.
- If you don’t have a lawyer, hire one. You can find several good ones here.
Private Investigation Tip for Child Custody Battles
The number one thing to remember as you battle through your child custody fight is to show you children that you love them. All too often we see our clients get caught up in the case and the fight against their spouse. They forget about their children. Sure, they do the necessary. They take them to school, etc. But often they forget to spend quality time with them. The parents become obsessed with the fight and forget to spend special time with their children. Childhood is too short. We all wish we were kids again. Make your child’s life the best it can be.